Facts about Utania - 26

     Respect for one's elders is a rule that still applies in Utania, particularly amongst traditional (non-east coast) Utani. One should always remember to treat older people with respect, particularly the elderly. This means never raising your voice with a "fuddy old coffee shop owner or trader". Having said this, it is unusual for elders to still be maintaining stores, as they as usually the patriarchs or matriarchs of a family, spending their days teaching or looking after the young, or attending to more spiritual matters in one of the numerous churches around Utania.
     In the eastern cities (Luka, Vela Luka, etc...), these things are all less so the case, however, the generosity of the Utani people and respect for elders has enfused these places, too. Other social conduct rules is of the more obvious: spitting in the street is uncouth, as is littering (and in Nystonia state may earn you a hefty fine!).

RELIGION

Some 87% of Utanians are Cruistian, and religious observance is particularly high, especially outside Luka, the "cosmopolitan" city of Utania. The remaining 13% are either agnostic or of other religions, and all are Uta-Decashi: almost 100% of Utani are Cruistian.
     The state of Savana is almost a theocracy, and the Cruistian-Democrat dominated government of Nystonia would like that state to be. However, religion and state are separated (more to protect religion than to protect the state, as the Guwimith Tsarist regime dictated the religion of King-worship, and it took poorly in the Utanian provinces).
     The faith of the Utani is typically one of tolerance. Though strictly orthodox and fundementalist, forcing ones own morality onto others is considered "poor form" amongst traditional Utani. Utani are also quick to forgive the "sins" of foreigners, or pass them off as an "Uta-Decashi issue". Having said this, it is wise and courteous to treat with respect all Utani customs and religious values.

LANGUAGE

Utani and Ingallish are the two official languages of Utania. There is various dialects of Utani, but they all originate from the one standard language. It is estimated, also, that two-thirds of Utanians speak Ingallish, which means 100% on the east coast, and 40% elsewhere. In all major centres, finding someone who doesn't speak Ingallish will be difficult. In Savana and the hinterland of Utani B'yan, this becomes far more common. Only a fifth of people in Navoomi, for example, will speak any form of passable Ingallish.
        Utani is the legal and royal language amongst Utani tribes, but most public officials will know Ingallish. Where it becomes more difficult is amongst stall-owners in markets from Navoomi to B'Yantusu. Few will speak Ingallish, but most are happy to sign-language their way to trading.
     Knowing a few words of Utani will be rewarded with heaped praise, too. "Ajon" (hello) and "Kasej" (g'bye) and the useful "Ajon Haseya, Ingallish je voca?" (excuse me, do you speak Ingallish?) will get travellers a long way. It will endear you to locals far more quickly. There is some useful phrases in the reference section of this book.
     Utani is spoken only in Utania and the UNV-administered Gvonj.

Facts for the Visitor
HIGHLIGHTS
Beaches

The beaches of Utania are clean, sunny, warm and inviting, and, more importantly, numerous. Panpria is the most well known and best established of the Utanian beach resorts, with five-star excellence, clean sandy beaches and continuous sunshine. Utania's climate provides the country with a good eight months of beautiful sunshine, and the winds coming from the south-east provide the south-eastern beaches with soothing sea breezes, and fantastic surfing. Therefore, from Shecker to Utan Krysaror, the beaches are popular and have several resorts dotted along them. Most facilities will be rudimentary, but visitors should find several small hotels or hostels available.
     Most other beaches are almost as good, save near the larger cities where beach pollution has become a problem over the past 100 years of industrialisation. Stay away from those beaches, and be very careful about eating seafood there too, as high levels of industrial chemicals and minerals have been previously found.

Museums

Utania has several good museums that deal with the Savaj Empire period, and the Utani Kingdoms periods in their history, and there is much to see. Almost every city in Lasanne and Nystonia will have a museum, and many of the larger cities in Utani B'yan. Savana has two museums and several living museums, ruins that you can tour about.

Copyright © 301 - Lonely Vexillium Next page Previous page
<Tech>
Copyright © 2000-1 - Mike Ham
(except where copyright held by Edward Mooney, Jr., or their respective authors)
All Rights Reserved
Not to be copied or reproduced in any way without permission.
Webmaster: Mike Ham